Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

Today is the sixth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

I'm not particularly eloquent about this -- but I suggest you check out Megan McArdle, Ann Althouse, and (eloquent in his own way) Matthew Yglesias.

Megan posts a lovely picture of the late Twin Towers. I know that many family members of the victims of the attack feel the footprints of those towers should never be disturbed, but a part of me wishes that President Bush had, in the initial days after the attack, pushed to have them rebuilt exactly as they were, except taller -- tall enough to make them the tallest buildings in the world. I know it would have been difficult to find people willing to work in those buildings, and I'm sure they wouldn't have made money. But we could have offered space rent free, for all I care.

That would have been a fitting memorial indeed.

No comments: